DE BRY Theodoro (1528 - 1598)
America. Pars Sexta Sive Historiae ab Hieronymo Be ...Bookseller:
Randall House Rare Books, U.S.A.$ 27.500 Buy from: Biblio
Online Auction #6 - Gastronomy
A private collection of antiquarian books on cookery and household management: 95 single-item lots of mainly 18th and 19th century editions. Highlights include the first edition of Robert Smith's 'Court Cookery' (1723), a signed copy of Elizabeth Raffald's 'The Experienced English Housekeeper' (1773, third edition), Markham's 'A Way to get Wealth' (1683), Mary Cole's 'The Lady's Complete Guide' (1791, third edition), and Williamson's 'The Colonial Baker' (a rare 1900 regional imprint from Yass in NSW, with an unrecorded supplement).
Lots will close progressively from 3pm ACDT on 31 March 2019.
Picture Book 9 | Melbourne Rare Book Fair 2019
To coincide with the Melbourne Rare Book Fair we are pleased to announce the latest in our series of Picture Book catalogues. It contains many treasures:
- the extremely rare second impression of Tolkien's 'The Hobbit' (1937, with the dustwrapper), the first edition of J.M. Barrie's 'Peter and Wendy' (1911, with the dustwrapper), and P.G. Wodehouse's 'Mike' (1919, also with the dustwrapper!);
- autograph material from Hector Berlioz, Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin, Sir Robert Torrens and Sir Douglas Mawson;
- numerous important photographs, including an Antarctic masthead panorama by Frank Hurley, an early experimental image from a negative produced by exposure to radioactivity, and portraits (many with signatures) of the founders of Darwin;
- accounts of voyages by Magra, Bligh, MacGillivray and Flinders (the rare large-paper issue, a gift from the explorer's only child, with the elephant folio atlas);
- accounts of inland expeditions by Hume, Blaxland, Carron, Jardine, Leichhardt and Cross (the first work relating to the exploration of Western Australia);
- and an apparently unrecorded large-scale map of the failed Ottoman attempt to invade Egypt on 3 February 1915, the first action in the First World War to include the AIF, prepared by the 3rd Field Company, Australian Engineers, the only Australian unit present.
To view these items (and much besides) visit us at Stand 24 at the Melbourne Rare Book Fair, 12–14 July.