Skip to main content
What bookdealers really mean. A dictionary by Tom Congalton and Dan Gregory (Between the Covers), with additions from other sources
Term english
Definition english
The inside portion of the flexible area where book cover meets the book spine; often used interchangeably with the term joint, which should be used to designate the outside or exterior portion of the "hinge". A volume which has received heavy or rough use often has cracked or broken hinges.
Term french
Definition french
Articulation du plat et du dos d’un volume.
Term danish
Fals (på bogbind)
Term dutch
Scharnier (-versterking)
Term italian
Term spanish
Charnela, bisagra
Term swedish
Fals (på bokpärm)
Term german
Gelenk (innen)
Definition german
Das innere Gelenk, wo der Bucheinband mit dem Buchblock zusammengefügt ist.
Tax category