Gesamtansicht, darunter Erklärungen in deut. und l ...Libraire:
Antiquariat Nikolaus Struck, Berlin, B, Germany$ 1.113 Acheter sur: AbeBooks
Whaling and Piracy Logbooks
Spécialités : Voyages
Whaling and Piracy Logbooks
This exceptional collection of original logbooks from whaling ships from the mid of the 19th century paints a comprehensive picture of the whaling´s glory history. During their years and years of journeys on the seven seas, the captains meticulously noted their catch, described the hunting grounds, the wind flow and the currents, dangerous passages on the oceans and problems on their journeys. They depicted life on board of the ships, extraordinary occurrences and the places they headed for. These ship´s logs, written – in English, of course – by whalers, mostly from Nantucket and New Bedford bring back memories of Melville´s "Moby Dick“.
1. Captain John H. Paun: Journal of a Whaling Cruise in the Bark Anaconda of New Bedford. Journal of a Whaling Voyage in Bark Cicero of New Bedford.
2. John M. Honeywell, Master; William P Howland, owner: Journal of a Whaling Voyage of the Bark Roscius of New Bedford to the Atlantic.
3. + 4. Master Barney R. Green: Journal of the Whaling Voyage of the Ship Ontario plying the Indian, Pacific, and Atlantic oceans + Captain Andrew Halsey: Journal of the Ship Marcus, plying the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans.
5. Obediah G. Chase: A Journal of a Whaling Voyage to the Pacific Ocean in the Ship Helvetia of Hudson. Commanded by Shubael Cottle.
6. C. Rice, (Midshipman) & Thomas Cory, Master: Journal of a Whaleing Voyage from Newport in the Barque Mechanic. Sailed from Newport Nov 27th 1855 to the Indian Ocean and Elsewhere.
7. Govenor Fenica: Whaling Log
8. Charles H. Snell, First Mate: Journal of a Whaling Voyage to the Atlantic Ocean on Board Bark Pelmetto. Captain Tripp.
9. Elijah Howlan, Master: Log of the Bark Elizabeth Bound on a Whaling Voyage to the Western Islands, The Journal of a Whaling Voyage in the Ship Selma of Newport to the Indian Ocean.
10. Benjamin R. Harriss & George Coffen, Commander: A Journal of a Voyage to the South Seas in the Ship Pacific.
11. Thomas Jonson (midshipman): Whaling Journal of the Ship Courier
of Dorchester from Boston Bound for the South Atlantic and Indian Ocean.
12. Jonathan Negusjin & John Smith, Commander: A Journal of a Voyage
from Amsterdam towards India in the Ship Amsterdam Packet.
13. A manuscript letter book, 1815-1816, from the Office of the Commander in Chief of the Jamaica Station.
Diese außergewühnliche Sammlung an Original-Logbüchern um 1840 von Walfangschiffen zeigt ein umfassendes Bild aus der blutigen Zeit des Walfangs.
Oft jahrelang auf allen Weltmeeren unterwegs, notierten die Walfang-Kapitäne akribisch ihre Fangleistungen, beschrieben die Jagdgründe, die Meeres- und Windströmungen, gefährliche Schifffahrtspassagen und Probleme bei ihren Fahrten. Sie beschrieben das Leben an Bord, außergewöhnliche Ereignisse und auch die Orte, die sie ansteurten.
Diese auf englisch verfaßten Logbücher, der meist aus dem amerikanischen Nantucket und New Bedford stammenden Walfänger, lassen unweigerlich Erinnerungen an Melville´s Moby Dick aufkommen.
Boston book fair catalogue 2018
The newly discovered and unpublished 14th Bible manuscript is a highlight, as well as the manuscript annotated by the famous Humanist Konrad Peutinger. We offer also a Arabic text in a medieval Latin translation dating 1464. In the manuscript section after 1600 we find among others: Model love letters, an alchemy manuscript, two unpublished (one illustrated) manuscripts on the siege of Vienna by the Ottoman Turks and a 18th century surrealistic novel. There are a number of incunabula, of which the one entirely printed on vellum must surely be the most exceptional. The 16th century starts with a number of fine Aldines, works on Arabian medicine, one of the most beautiful handwriting manuals of the Renaissance, an annotated copy of an important book on English law and some rare voyages on the Holy Land. The 17th to 19th centuries are well represented. There is the Terry copy of one of the earliest books on American history, alchemical medicine: the strange case of a woman 19th months pregnant, a book on why should not called up the Devil and expect him to behave. Two fine miniature books and a rare English source book for Shakespeare. In the 19th century we also have a number of highlights, an illustrated Chinese novel, an account of Louisiana and the first illustrated edition of Frankenstein. The medical tale of the needle woman is simply delightful. There is more Americana and a number of books of interest for the Arabian market.
In the voyage section, the Petit voyages by the Bry is one of the
most monumental geographical publications of the early modern period. The Historia general de la Yndia oriental is a rare and important work on the Portuguese exploration and colonization of the Americas and the Near and the Far East (Brazil, the Persian Gulf and China). We think that in the section maps, photographs and prints, the archive on early aviation is a unique find. The same applies to the typescript of the unpublished interview with Alice Roosevelt. Of course this is only a small selection from our biggest catalogue yet. As always we will also bring with us a large number of books & manuscripts ‘hors catalogue’. We hope for a favourable reception and to see you all at the fair. Booth 328.
Globe Theatre partners with Firsts London - London's Rare Book Fair - Exhibition of rarely seen works at 2019 fairPublié le 11 Fév. 2019
Buchkultur e.V., the city of Ludwigsburg and Wiedeking
Stuttgart Foundation, will be awarded in 2019 to German philologist Klaus Völker.