“John Wiley & Sons: 200 Years of Publishing,” on view at the Grolier Club from September 15 through November 20, 2010, exhibits rare and first editions published by the company since its founding in 1807 through the present day. Publications from John Wiley & Sons, Inc.’s 203-year history represent the development of the publishing industry, the growth of the United States, the evolution of modern science, and the emergence of a global community. Wiley’s books are complemented by artwork and original documents.
The company’s founder, Charles Wiley, hosted early American authors James Fenimore Cooper, William Cullen Bryant, and others at his Wall Street location called “the Den.” First editions by these authors and by Washington Irving are included, as well as the first magazine printing of "The Star-Spangled Banner" under its original title, "Defence of Fort M’Henry" (1814).
Curated by Frances Chaves and Peter Booth Wiley