Auction | Voyages and Travel, Egyptology, Medicine | 12 OctoberPublished on 04 Oct. 2019
The three main areas in this sale are Australian voyages and exploration, Egyptology, and the history of medicine – with smaller sections devoted to works by T.E. Lawrence, literature, and antiquarian books. Bids may be left any time from now until the final bidding commences with Lot 1 at 1:30pm ACDT on Saturday 12 October.[...] Read more
Melbourne Rare Book Fair 2019Published on 05 July 2019
Two highlights from our new catalogue to be shown at the forthcoming Melbourne Rare Book Fair include: a recently-discovered, fine pastel portrait of Sir Joseph Banks by Amelia Susannah Petty. This remarkably fresh portrait in its original frame shows Sir Joseph Banks at the height of his powers wearing his Order of the Bath sash; and a fine illuminated presentation address to HRH Prince Albert Victor, on the occasion of the young prince’s visit to the Cook memorial at Kurnell, Sydney in 1881. The elaborate and fine illustrations, drawn and hand-coloured by Helena Scott (1832-1910) depict flora and fauna “indigenous to Botany, New South Wales”.[...] Read more
Picture Book 9 | Melbourne Rare Book Fair 2019Published on 04 July 2019
To coincide with the Melbourne Rare Book Fair we are pleased to announce the latest in our series of Picture Book catalogues. It contains many treasures:
- the extremely rare second impression of Tolkien's 'The Hobbit' (1937, with the dustwrapper), the first edition of J.M. Barrie's 'Peter and Wendy' (1911, with the dustwrapper), and P.G. Wodehouse's 'Mike' (1919, also with the dustwrapper!);
- autograph material from Hector Berlioz, Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin, Sir Robert Torrens and Sir Douglas Mawson;
- numerous important photographs, including an Antarctic masthead panorama by Frank Hurley, an early experimental image from a negative produced by exposure to radioactivity, and portraits (many with signatures) of the founders of Darwin;
- accounts of voyages by Magra, Bligh, MacGillivray and Flinders (the rare large-paper issue, a gift from the explorer's only child, with the elephant folio atlas);
- accounts of inland expeditions by Hume, Blaxland, Carron, Jardine, Leichhardt and Cross (the first work relating to the exploration of Western Australia);
- and an apparently unrecorded large-scale map of the failed Ottoman attempt to invade Egypt on 3 February 1915, the first action in the First World War to include the AIF, prepared by the 3rd Field Company, Australian Engineers, the only Australian unit present.
To view these items (and much besides) visit us at Stand 24 at the Melbourne Rare Book Fair, 12–14 July.
Online Auction #5 - Military HistoryPublished on 21 March 2019
From three private collections: 200 lots, comprising numerous unit and aviation histories, rare ephemera and photographs, with numerous signed items (including Sir John Monash, Sir Nevill Smyth VC, Keith Payne VC and aviation prints). Highlights include a complete set of six Guerrilla Handbooks by Ion Idriess, rare troopship newspapers, and original artwork by Bruce Bairnsfather and Norman Wilkinson.[...] Read more
52nd California International Antiquarian Book FairPublished on 05 Feb. 2019
54 items[...] Read more
Highly Important Works of Art - Baudin Expedition to Australia 1800-1804Published on 05 Dec. 2018
Specialities : Australiana
An important suite of original portraits and views by the artists on the baudin expedition to Australia of 1800-1804, the "Voyage de decouvertes aux terres australes"[...] Read more
Rare books, maps, prints & photographsPublished on 20 Nov. 2018
Our forthcoming auction is one of the most varied we have offered. As usual, there is a strong showing of Australian and Pacific voyages and travels, including Flinders, Voyage to Terra Australis, 1814, with the large atlas; Phillip, Voyage to Botany Bay, 1789, in the coloured issue; two sets of the official accounts of Cook’s three voyages, 1773-84; and a singular copy of White, Voyage to New South Wales, 1790, with the
plates present both in coloured and plain state and with an unrecorded proof plate.
The maps are headed by the three very rare Flinders charts of 1801, for which his Observations on the coast of Van Diemen’s Land published in the same year, is a commentary ‘intended to accompany’ them.
The photographs include a magnificent pair of albums of views in New South Wales, circa 1880 to 1895, one containing 100 large photographs, the other 11 folding panoramas of Sydney. A number of other panoramic views, of various kinds, have also been consigned.
The natural history section derives chiefly from the collection of Dr. Louis Pigott of Brisbane, and includes, amongst some fine bird books, John Gould’s copy of Buller, History of the birds of New Zealand, 1873.
The highlight of the prints is the very rare view of Newcastle published by Absalom West, Sydney 1812.
We are also pleased to offer a group of finely illustrated architecture books, spanning four centuries.
We will also be accepting bids through Invaluable.
Online Auction #3: Literature, Australiana, Antiquarian books, TravelPublished on 30 Oct. 2018
Welcome to the first sale on our new auction site. We envisage it will be the first of many. Indeed, work is well under way on three separate specialist auctions – Military History, Gastronomy, and History of Medicine – scheduled for the first few months of the new year. All three are based around single-vendor collections.
The present auction is a mixed-vendor sale, and with many of the 455 lots we have instructions to put very few impediments between you and temptation! Broad subjects include Australiana, exploration and travel, literature, antiquarian books, natural history, and erotica.
View the illustrated catalogue at auctions.treloars.com
The online auction commences at 1pm (ACDT) 4 November 2018.
1) Bid live online at auctions.treloars.com;
2) Leave absentee bids (the form can be downloaded from our website);
3) Bid live by telephone (lots with a lower estimate of at least $900).
- Buyer’s premium: 20% (including GST),
- Online bidding fee 3% (charged on successful bids on our online bidding platform),
- Shipping and expert packing available at reasonable rates.
If you need any assistance, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or on +61 8 8223 1111