"M" is for MiscellanyPublished on 03 July 2017
Here we offer you a sneak preview of the items that will be on display at our stall (23) at the 2017 Melbourne Rare Book Fair, July 7-9. The colour brochure features 17 highlights including Mathematics, Memento Mori, Militaria, The Middle East, and a 1928 photo album of a Grand Tour undertaken by four friends in a car called Marco Polo (item 14). For those who collect Olympic Games programs we have Count Mercati's copy of the Official Program of the 1912 Stockholm Olympics (item 15), and for collectors of social and women's history we have Mrs Mary Wilson's personal album from the mid 19th Century (item 9).[...] Read more
Fall 2016 – From Aristotle to A.A. MilnePublished on 24 June 2017
We are pleased to announce the arrival of our Fall 2016 catalog featuring a fine selection of recent arrivals and collection highlights including one of the earliest presentation copies of James Joyce’s Ulysses inscribed to Lewis Galantiere, an exceptionally rare hand corrected speech with additions and edits in Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s own hand, an inscribed first edition of Albert Einstein’s The Evolution of Physics, and a signed extra limited edition of Winnie-The-Pooh inscribed with an original poem by A.A. Milne. Other highlights include a rare first edition in English of Dante’s Divine Comedy, a first edition of The Godfather inscribed by Mario Puzo to his editor Bill Targ, and a first edition, first issue of Political debates between Abraham Lincoln and Stephen A. Douglas. As always, we are dedicated to assisting you in building your own collection or selecting the perfect gift with gift wrapping services available upon request.[...] Read more
Spring 2016 – From Darwin to DallowayPublished on 24 June 2017
Browse our extensive Spring 2016 catalog of fine and rare books. We have curated for you a collection that includes an extremely rare presentation copy of Darwin’s On the Origin of Species, inscribed first editions of the reclusive Thomas Pynchon, and a rare signed portrait of Charles Dickens. Other highlights include a first edition of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, an inscribed first edition of The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, and a first edition of How to Trade in Stocks by Jesse Livermore in the rare original dust jacket. Within these pages, you will discover not only classics of adult and children’s literature, but also landmark books regarding scientific discoveries, politics, economics, sport, and exploration.[...] Read more
Holiday Gift IdeasPublished on 24 June 2017
There are few gifts that are as lasting and appreciated as a rare book. Within this catalog, we offer some gift suggestions for every book lover on your holiday gift list. Whether it is a beloved childhood book that turned them on to the joys of reading or a favorite title they read in high school or college, people treasure these books like a close friend.
We offer free gift wrapping and ship worldwide to ensure that your thoughtful gift arrives beautifully packaged and presented.
Auction. Voyages and exploration, rare medical books, art, photographs, literature, maps, prints and AustralianaPublished on 28 March 2017
5 and 6 April 2017 at 6:30 pm AEST
St George's Anglican Church Hall
296 Glenferrie Road, Malvern, Victoria
Wednesday 5 April 2017
The John Belson White Collection of Australian and Pacific voyages, First Fleet journals and Australiana.
Thursday 6 April 2017
Rare Victoriana, important early medical books, art and literature, photographs, manuscripts, and a broad miscellany.
Fully illustrated catalogue at http://invaluable.com/treloars
Highlights of the first evening include:
- Peron and Freycinet’s Voyage de Decouvertes aux Terres Australes [Historique] (1807-16, complete with the two-part atlas augmented with the 25 plates normally found only in the second edition atlas of 1824)
- Cook’s three voyages, offered separately (the third voyage, 1784, complete with the large folio atlas)
- Parkinson (1773) and Forster (1777)
- First Fleet journals by White (a hand-coloured copy), Hunter and Phillip
- works by Dampier, Brosses, Bligh, La Perouse, Labillardiere, Dillon and Wilkes
- atlases by La Pérouse (Charts and Plates to La Pérouse's Voyage, London, 1798); Vandermaelan (Atlas Universel … Sixième Partie – Océanique, 1827); and Dumont d’Urville (the rare and magnificent atlas to accompany the hydrographic section of the official account of Dumont-d'Urville's second voyage, 1847)
- rare Australian maps of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries
Highlights of the second evening include:
- albums of photographs and 16 original glass-plate negatives from the Elder Scientific Exploration Expedition, 1891-2, the first Australian expedition on which the camera was successfully used. The albums are of the utmost rarity; the unique negatives are the only ones known to exist from the expedition
- pioneering early books on anatomy by Andreas Vesalius (1555, 1568, 1725 and 1934/5]
- works by Thomas Browne (1642, 1645 and 1658)
- Osleriana (including rare books, signed copies, letters and photographs)
- signed copies of works by J.M. Coetzee (including unique copies of his Booker Prize-winning novels)
- Shackleton’s Heart of the Antarctic (1909, first edition, the deluxe large-paper issue with the fully-signed supplementary volume in its first uncorrected state)
- Shackleton’s South (1919, first edition, first impression, with the contemporary ownership details of Richard Walter Richards, one of the Ross Sea Shore Party)
NEW YORK ANTIQUARIAN BOOK FAIR ISTPublished on 01 March 2017
Specialities : Photography
I will be showing two distinct groups; The first group, Photography: In the Beginning, is a selection of 87 key works on the evolution of the medium, including 55 pre-1865 imprints from France, England and America. These include Daguerre's Manual, Talbot's Talbotype Process, and a key group that is the foundation for color photography.
The second group, Pictorial Selection, is a group of 52 books and photographs from the last 150 years. These include Ansel Adam's SIERRA NEVADA: The JOHN MUIR TRAIL, Tina Barney's SWIMMING, Bates' own copy of his unique extra-illustrated travels through Mexico and California, a maquette with photomontage for a poster by E. McKnight Kauffer, and Robert Frank LES AMERICAINS twice signed with a drawing.