Rare books, maps, prints & photographsPublished on 20 Nov. 2018
Our forthcoming auction is one of the most varied we have offered. As usual, there is a strong showing of Australian and Pacific voyages and travels, including Flinders, Voyage to Terra Australis, 1814, with the large atlas; Phillip, Voyage to Botany Bay, 1789, in the coloured issue; two sets of the official accounts of Cook’s three voyages, 1773-84; and a singular copy of White, Voyage to New South Wales, 1790, with the
plates present both in coloured and plain state and with an unrecorded proof plate.
The maps are headed by the three very rare Flinders charts of 1801, for which his Observations on the coast of Van Diemen’s Land published in the same year, is a commentary ‘intended to accompany’ them.
The photographs include a magnificent pair of albums of views in New South Wales, circa 1880 to 1895, one containing 100 large photographs, the other 11 folding panoramas of Sydney. A number of other panoramic views, of various kinds, have also been consigned.
The natural history section derives chiefly from the collection of Dr. Louis Pigott of Brisbane, and includes, amongst some fine bird books, John Gould’s copy of Buller, History of the birds of New Zealand, 1873.
The highlight of the prints is the very rare view of Newcastle published by Absalom West, Sydney 1812.
We are also pleased to offer a group of finely illustrated architecture books, spanning four centuries.
We will also be accepting bids through Invaluable.
Rare Books, Decorative Prints and Historical PhotographyPublished on 14 Nov. 2018
China in Manuscript and Photography - Hong Kong Maritime MuseumPublished on 12 Nov. 2018
Highlights included are:
* 1847 - Original Chinese Pith Paintings
* 1849 - Unpublished Translations of Chinese Texts - Early History of Amoy - William Gingell
* 1889 - First Chart of the Upper Yangtze River and the Three Gorges - Large Panorama Map
* 1910 - Photography of Early Trade on the Yangtze River - Over 400 Photos in Six Albums
* 1922 - Rare Glass Lantern Slide Photographs During the May Thirteenth Movement in Shanghai
Manuscripts - Archives - Photography - Select StockPublished on 30 Oct. 2018
Highlights within our catalog include the following items...
* 1636 - Manuscript Vellum Indenture with two intact wax seals embossed with a skull motif regarding the Feoffment Lands of Barwick, King's Lynn District of Norfolk
* 1870-1931 - A two generation archive of recipes from the household kitchen of Edward Augustus Freeman,
English Writer and Politician
* 1898 - Amicorum with beautiful drawings, watercolour paintings and poetry created by notable contributors.
* 1914 - Beautiful photography of Nikko, Japan, capturing everyday life, shrines and customs through the eyes of a German family.
Manuscripts & Photography - Fall Selection 2018Published on 04 Sept. 2018
Some highlights of this catalog are...
1) 18th Century Vellum Deeds
2) 1870 - Rare Collection of Carte-de-Visite Photographs of Middle Eastern Traditional Costumes
3) 1909 - Rare Recording on Vinyl of North & South Pole Explorers Shackleton & Peary
4) 1897 - Manuscript Letters reflecting a conversation with Czar Nicholas II on board his naval vessel
5) 1920 - Archive of Indonesian Rubber Samples
6) 1953 - Original Wrappers of Children's Magazine Collection by Enid Blyton
Catalogue 12Published on 13 June 2018
110 items illustrated in full color. Highlights include: Anais Nin's rarest book, AULETRIS; a signed copy of Ed Ruscha's rare DUTCH DETAILS; an extraordinary postcard from actress Karen Allen written from the set of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK; two original pastels by Charles Bukowski; an orginal photograph by Allen Ginsberg of Robert Creeley; Jeff Wall's scarce FREE MEDIA BULLETIN; Owen Simmon's legendary BOOK OF BREAD; a truly fine copy of Frank O'Hara's LUNCH POEMS; a number of items from Ed Sander's Fuck You Press; an extraordinary contemporary eyewitness letter to the attacks on Pearl Harbor; several exceptional outsider and vernacular books; and much, much more.[...] Read more
Catalogue 13: The Book and Nothing But the BookPublished on 13 June 2018
Featuring 150 *books* (what a concept) fully illustrated in color, it includes generous selections of poetry (concrete and otherwise), art and photo (including Japanese photobooks), Beats and punks, association copies, artists' books, pulps, film, human sexuality, the obligatory modern firsts, and much more.[...] Read more