Victor Hugo et ses prochesPublished on 09 July 2019
Picture Book 9 | Melbourne Rare Book Fair 2019Published on 04 July 2019
To coincide with the Melbourne Rare Book Fair we are pleased to announce the latest in our series of Picture Book catalogues. It contains many treasures:
- the extremely rare second impression of Tolkien's 'The Hobbit' (1937, with the dustwrapper), the first edition of J.M. Barrie's 'Peter and Wendy' (1911, with the dustwrapper), and P.G. Wodehouse's 'Mike' (1919, also with the dustwrapper!);
- autograph material from Hector Berlioz, Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin, Sir Robert Torrens and Sir Douglas Mawson;
- numerous important photographs, including an Antarctic masthead panorama by Frank Hurley, an early experimental image from a negative produced by exposure to radioactivity, and portraits (many with signatures) of the founders of Darwin;
- accounts of voyages by Magra, Bligh, MacGillivray and Flinders (the rare large-paper issue, a gift from the explorer's only child, with the elephant folio atlas);
- accounts of inland expeditions by Hume, Blaxland, Carron, Jardine, Leichhardt and Cross (the first work relating to the exploration of Western Australia);
- and an apparently unrecorded large-scale map of the failed Ottoman attempt to invade Egypt on 3 February 1915, the first action in the First World War to include the AIF, prepared by the 3rd Field Company, Australian Engineers, the only Australian unit present.
To view these items (and much besides) visit us at Stand 24 at the Melbourne Rare Book Fair, 12–14 July.
Livres choisis n°151Published on 18 June 2019
Livres anciens et rares : littérature, philosophie, histoire, art militaire, économie politique, voyages, ethnographie, jeux, loisirs, arts & spectacles, curiosités, facéties, gastronomie ...[...] Read more