Frances G. Durako
"Baltimore's best and largest antiquarian book store" (Baltimore City Paper).
For nearly 30 years The Kelmscott Bookshop has been an open shop selling fine and antiquarian books in all areas. Current specialties include: books about books, artists' books, private presses, William Morris and the Kelmscott Press, Pre-Raphaelites, and fine literature. In addition The Kelmscott Bookshop offers a wide selection of prints and illuminated manuscripts.
Frances G. Durako, a bibliophile who grew up in Indiana, was formerly the chief information officer for a large law firm. She purchased The Kelmscott Bookshop in 2003.
Founded in 1977 by Terry and Don Johanson, the Kelmscott Bookshop continues to attract customers with its nostalgic charm and vast collection of used and rare titles. Home to nearly 30,000 books, the shop holds something of interest for everyone. Located in a historic row house, the Kelmscott was the first of a number of book stores to form Baltimore's Book Row on West 25th Street. The name of the shop honors William Morris, an eminent designer and craftsman known for his commitment to the production of high quality handmade products for the common man. It was with these ideals that Morris founded the Kelmscott Press in 1891 and began designing and printing a collection of exquisite books, most notably the Kelmscott Chaucer.
>>> The Kelmscott Bookshop